Thursday, February 14, 2013

You Are the Light of the World

Sanibel Lighthouse after Charley


Ye are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hid.  Neither do men light a lamp, and put it under the bushel, but on the stand; and it shineth unto all that are in the house. 
Matthew 5:14-15 (ASV) 


“You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. 
Matthew 5:14-15 (ESV)


You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house.  
Matthew 5:14-15 (NKJV) 

Other verses to read: (you can mouse over them in most browsers)
Philippians 2:15    2 Corinthians 4:5-6    Luke 11:33


There are at least 2 old hymns that were written from this verse. One is, This Little Light of Mine, it has primarily become a children's song It was written by Harry Dixon Loes sometime about 1920. Harry Dixon Loes studied at the Moody Bible Institute and the American Conservatory of Music. He was a musical composer, and teacher, who wrote lyrics for 1,500 gospel songs, and composed 3,000 tunes. This Little Light of Mine since entered the folk tradition, first being collected by John Lomax in 1939.  The song also found its way into the Civil Rights movement of the 1950s and 1960s when Fannie Lou Hammer added it to her spiritual song repertoire, along with other songs such as Go Tell it on the Mountain, and We Shall Overcome.

I guess I never listened very closely to all of the words. One of the verses that really struck me, was the fourth verse.  It is so important to know hearthe words of this verse: I'm not going to make it shine, I'm just going to let it shine.  Too many shine their own light - perhaps to be noticed.  This kind of light we are to shine. The light we are to let shine is not inherent in fallen man. Once we are a true believer we have the light, we cannot make this light. Believers have it – the unsaved do not! We can, and should reflect the light of Jesus. We should let nothing in our lives block the glorious light of God. 2 Corinthians 3:18  2 Corinthians 4:5

 Let it Shine!

_________

THIS LITTLE LIGHT OF MINE

This little light of mine
I'm going to let it shine
Oh, this little light of mine
I'm going to let it shine
This little light of mine
I'm going to let it shine
Let it shine, let it shine, let it shin.e

Ev'ry where I go
I'm going to let it shine
Oh, ev'ry where I go
I'm going to let it shine
Ev'ry where I go
I'm going to let it shine
Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine.

All in my house
I'm going to let it shine
Oh, all in my house
I'm going to let it shine
All in my house
I'm going to let it shine
Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine.

I'm not going to make it shine
I'm just going to let it shine
I'm not going to make it shine
I'm just going to let it shine
I'm not going to make it shine
I'm just going to let it shine
Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine

Out in the dark
I'm going to let it shine
Oh, out in the dark
I'm going to let it shine
Out in the dark
I'm going to let it shine
Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine.

Tomorrow - or soon another hymn written from this verse.
_________


A traveler tells of being ill in his cabin one evening en route to India, when he head the cry, "Man overboard!" Not able to go on deck to help, he asked himself, "What can I do?" Instantly he took his cabin light and held it near the porthole, so that it might shine on the sea. In half a minute, he heard the joyful cry, "It's all right. He's safe."

The next day he was told that his little lamp was the sole means of saving that man's life; it was only by the timely light which shone upon him that the knotted rope could be thrown so as to reach him.
Encyclopedia of Illustrations
_________


Every act leaves the world with a deeper or fainter impress of God.
-Alfred North Whitehead

No comments:

Post a Comment