Friday, February 1, 2013

Don't Hold it So Tightly

SanDiego1-1

Don't you just love commercials.  Isn't it amazing how beneficial they are.  If it wasn't for commercials and ads, I wouldn't know just how much I lack in this life.  I would have thought that my automobile was just fine for me, but I learned that it doesn't have what I need for my safety and enjoyment.  My TV is just too old, too small, and has such poor sound quality.  My clothes are out of style, I need better insurance and phone isn't smart enough.

 I especially have missed out on a better life because there are so many new medicines and supplements available. They promise to make me happier, live longer, rid me of all my pains, make me thinner,  and improve my memory (Did they just rapidly mumble something about side effects). Now where was I?  I am so easily tempted by the allure of more things.  Thing I'm sure I need. Things that are seemingly essential for a full life. Not only do I need to keep all that I have, but I need MORE.   What would happen if my things were stollen -- I need home security, and insurance.  Thank goodness for ads, commercials, billboards and phone solicitations.  What would I do without them!

_______

Do not be afraid when a man becomes rich, When the glory of his house is increased; For when he dies he will carry nothing away; His glory will not descend after him.      
Psalm 49: 16-17  New American Standard Bible (©1995)
_______

"For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world, and forfeit his soul? 
Mark 8: 36 (NASB)
_______

As he had come naked from his mother's womb, so will he return as he came. He will take nothing from the fruit of his labor that he can carry in his hand.
 Ecclesiastes 5:15   (NASB)
_______

For we have brought nothing into the world, so we cannot take anything out of it either. 
1 Timothy 6:7 (NASB)
_________


Get the message - You can't take it with you!   Actually it belonged to God from the start.  It was only loaned to you for a while -- I hope you took good care of it.

In the long run, what is the benefit of riches on this earth? Man is an everlasting soul. His time on earth is quite short. The world can only be enjoyed for a short time. Our worldly treasures will soon pass away. Are the riches of this life worth the cost. Are they even worth the work, trouble and fatigue of this world?


Monkey Business

In North Africa there is a very easy way to capture monkeys. A gourd, which a hole just sufficiently large so that a monkey can thrust his hand into it, is filled with nuts and fastened firmly to a branch of a tree at sunset. During the night a monkey will discover the scent of food, and its source, and will put his hand into the gourd and grasp a handful of nuts. But the hole is too small for the monkey to withdraw his clenched fist, and he has not sense enough to let go of his bounty so that he may escape. Thus he pulls and pulls without success, and when morning comes he is quickly and easily taken.

We must make sure that we, like the monkey, are not holding on too tight to the things of this world. You only get one time around - better to live it for the Lord.  Give Him the glory. Trust in Him alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment