Thursday, February 28, 2013

Blessed - Psalm 32

Milkweed pod

Blessed Are the Forgiven


Psalm 32

Blessed is the one whose transgression is forgiven,
whose sin is covered. Blessed is the man against whom the Lord counts no iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no deceit.

For when I kept silent, my bones wasted away through my groaning all day long. For day and night your hand was heavy upon me; my strength was dried up as by the heat of summer.

 I acknowledged my sin to you, and I did not cover my iniquity;
I said, I will confess my transgressions to the Lord, and you forgave the iniquity of my sin.

Therefore let everyone who is godly offer prayer to you at a time when you may be found; surely in the rush of great waters, they shall not reach him.

You are a hiding place for me; you preserve me from trouble;
you surround me with shouts of deliverance.

I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you. Be not like a horse or a mule, without understanding, which must be curbed with bit and bridle,
or it will not stay near you.

Many are the sorrows of the wicked, but steadfast love surrounds the one who trusts in the Lord. Be glad in the Lord, and rejoice, O righteous, and shout for joy, all you upright in heart!
Psalm 32

__________

This Psalm is the second psalm to begin with blessed. The Hebrew word for blessed is eser which means happy. In both psalm 1 and psalm 32, it is is saying: how happy! Spurgeon says that Psalm 1 pictures a tree in full growth, while Psalm 32 depicts the tree in its first planting and watering. We cannot ever be the excellent law keeper described in Psalm 1. We can, however, by the free grace of God through Christ, be a forgiven lawbreaker.

 Psalm 32 was probably David's response to his affair with Bathsheba (2 Sam. 11). In the first two verses of the Psalm 32, David tells of the blessings of forgiveness. In this psalm King David praises God for forgiveness of sin. He warns others not to refuse to confess their sins.

In the next two verses David tells of the agony he faced before he confessed his sins to God. If one tries to hide, or cover up a sin he will never find happiness. One must confess his sin to God and ask for forgiveness.God will then cover it with the blood of Christ. It is not for a sinner to cover their sin and try to hide it.  Proverbs 28:13  David's stubborn resistance to admitting his guilt separated him from God. No matter what the sin is, no matter who else is hurt, any sin is first and formost an offense  to God.  The forgiveness of sin does not eliminate the consequences of the sin, but will restore you relationship with God. 

David then tell us to offer prayer to Him when He can be found. David tell us not to wait forever to confess our sin. Don't be foolish.  Go to God now.  Once your sins are confessed to God you will discover that God is a hiding place. God will be your place to go for protection.

Romans 4:6-8 tells us that when God forgives sins He does not "charge" them to our accounts; they are removed from the record. God will never bring them up again.  Knowing that we  promise of God will give us joy and happiness. When a child of God truly repents and confesses sin, the Lord forgives because He has promised to do so.

The Lord is merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love.
He will not always chide, nor will he keep his anger forever.
He does not deal with us according to our sins, nor repay us according to our iniquities.
For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his steadfast love toward those who fear him; as far as the east is from the west, so far does he remove our transgressions from us.
Psalm 103:8-12



No comments:

Post a Comment