Thursday, January 31, 2013

As For Me and My House

Goldfinch in the snow

If it is disagreeable in your sight to serve the LORD, choose for yourselves today whom you will serve: whether the gods which your fathers served which were beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you are living; but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15 (NASB)


And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the LORD, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.”  Joshua 24:15 (ESV) 

______________



WOW, what an impact those words have to Christians today. But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.  Have I chosen to serve the LORD?  Does God get my undivided devotion.  Is He number one -- or do I put God somewhere after myself, my family, my possessions?  Have I chosen to be led by God's Spirit?  This is something I need to work on, I need to affirm this daily.

These words from Joshua followed his farewell speech. In that speech he reviewed the salvation history of Israel from Abraham down to that present time. He reminded the people of the many mighty acts of God on behalf of His people. God had brought them out of slavery in Egypt. He guided His people for 40 years through the wilderness. God fed them, and gave them victory over their enemies. Joshua reminded them that these great feats were not accomplished by their own power.  These great deeds were accomplished by God, for His people.  He then challenged them to put away their false gods and  to serve and fear the LORD.

He then allowed them to make their own decision. They could take up his challenge or continue to serve other gods -- those of the Amorites in whose land they were living.  Joshua was committed to the LORD. He spoke as the leader of his household and the spiritual leader of his family.  He chose to follow the LORD.  Joshua was an example of faithfulness for all the people of his day and for us today.





Joshua was a strong leader who knew where he was going, but he gave others the space they needed to choose for themselves. That's not only smart; it's an evidence of two admirable virtues: first, a security in self that comes from resting in God's will and second, a genuine respect for others.  — Charles Swindoll

No comments:

Post a Comment